Sunday, May 2, 2010

Thoreau

"July 17, pm
A summer rain. A gentle steady rain, long a-gathering, without thunder or lightning,- such as we have not, and, methinks, could not have had, earlier than this.
I pick raspberries dripping with rain beyond Sleepy Hallow. This weather is rather favorable to thought. On all sides is heard a gentle dripping of the rain on the leaves, yet it is perectly warm. It is a day of comparative leisure to many farmers. Some go to the mill-dam and the shops; some go a-fishing." (Quote from The Journal 1837-1861: Henry David Thoreau)

I picked this quote because I really like the idea of rain without thunder and lightning. I don't mind lighting so much but I am afraid of thunder, I don't know why, but I have been ever since I was young. But I really love the rain, the way Thoreau talks about it, as though it's some beautiful rare phenomenon is really deep. I felt that we have that in common, seeing the rain as something really special and something that should be appreciated. I also really loved the reference to Sleepy Hallow, even though I know he is just referring to the town, but I really liked that movie, so the fact that it's mentioned is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment